Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A few more details

While I don't have any photos to post as they are on Erich's computer and not mine, I thought I would take a quick minute to record her birth. Monday night, I picked my mom up from the airport. She kindly came to take of of Laney while I was in the hospital and then take care of all of us when I get home. And then I tried to sleep. I couldn't. I was too anxious. I probably slept for a total of 4 hours that night.

We arrived at the hospital yesterday at about 6:30 am. They checked me in and started getting everything ready. They hooked me up to an IV and had me on pitocin by about 7:30. I immediately asked for an epidural because I think labor is much better if you don't have to feel any of it. Obviously my nurse thought I was a little bit of a wimp because it took me asking 3 different times (and the final time was when another nurse was in the room who really talked to the anesthesiologist) to finally get my epidural. Over the course of me asking, my pitocin levels where raised twice which meant my contractions were closer together and lots stronger which really meant I was in PAIN and not happy. And Erich was extremely annoyed that the nurse would not grant my request. And then my doctor showed up to break my water which meant I had to wait even longer for that epidural.

Finally about 9:45 am, I was granted my one wish. And everything seemed so much better. Then I tried to sleep but again my favorite nurse would not leave my side. Every time I was almost asleep, she would ask how I was doing. I wanted to tell her I would be doing a lot better if she would leave me alone but I was trying to be nice. That and the fact that Erich was on the phone half of the morning talking about his race car and when they were going racing was a little detrimental to my resting.

Shortly after one in the afternoon, Allie was ready to come. They called my doctor and the fun part began. At 1:52, she was here. I was exhausted, relieved, and overjoyed. She weighed in at 7 lbs. 14 oz and was 20 inches long. And was perfect. She came out ready to eat and ate her first bottle in about 3 minutes. She has been great ever since. She just sleeps and eats. I couldn't love her any more.

Laney and my mom came to visit in the afternoon. Laney wanted to touch her face and give her a few kisses. Then she was only interested in running around the hospital room. And my mom was just interested in holding grandchild #10.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Allie and I just hung out until it was bedtime and then I sent her to the nursery so I could have a good night of sleep. I did and I have bathed and I feel a million times better today. Hopefully today will continue as smoothly as yesterday.

Thanks for all of your kind words. I appreciate them. And I will try to post some more pictures in the next day or two.

13 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm glad you have a new nurse today the first one sounds horrible. Tell Erich to get on the ball and post some more pics.

Unknown said...

It sounds like it all went smoothly (minus the delay in medication!). That's good to hear. I think she looks like Laney as well. I can't wait to see more..

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! She is adorable. Can't wait for more pictures though. And what an annoying nurse!!

Lindsey said...

She is a beautiful baby! Congratulations! For your sake, I hope she continues to just sleep and eat. Maybe then you can get some much needed rest as well.

Ashley said...

Congratulations! Now the fun begins:) Can't wait to see more pics. Hope you are doing good.


You're nurse sounds awful! I'm all for the no-pain method. :)

lizzie said...

Congratulations!! She is so cute! I'm glad the nurse finally came around...

Adrienne said...

Congratulations!!!! I am so glad that Allie is here safe and sound. I can't wait to see more pictures :)

mckay said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!

Nancy said...

Darn nurses, I can't believe they popped your water before the epidural, that seems odd to me, usually they say that you might go into hard labor as soon as the water is broken and you should get the epidural first. But glad all went smoothly, she's beautiful, and I'm also glad to hear that you love her, I know you were worried.

Jenny Zwick said...

mandy, she is so darling! i love those beautiful cheeks.

Liz said...

Congrats!! Sorry I am a little late discovering the exciting news!!! SHe is adorable. I am happy for you that all went well.

Anonymous said...

congrats. epis are nice. but know that your pain of only having the pit raised twice is NOTHING compared to what it could have been. i am not against eips, but can honestly say that you don't have my sympathy on that one. lol try having a baby on the pit w/o an epi. know, too, that the laboring mothers cannot get an epi until they are "favorable" after the pit begins. so, your nurse who was annoying was probably just following her training. having a baby while under the influence of an epi is NOT that exhausting. good job on the bottle, though. why not breastfeed? i think i missed something with that one. k, well - have a great day. congrats again. being a mom is fun.

Anonymous said...

one more thing. unless you were at a good station, i am surprised they broke your water anyway - there is alwyas a danger of the cord prolapsing. admitedly, i didn't read your entire blog so you may have been at a great station. isn't it funny how first time moms cannot wait to tell their labor and birth stories. he he. i remember. now that i have matured a little and realize that i was not/am not the only mother out there and that we all have our stories, i don't share unless asked for details. b/c we all have our stories with our wonderful details - like almost dying, baby not breathing, no epi, etc. anyway, thanks for sharing your info. blogs are the best way to get that info out there. :)