Sunday, January 30, 2011

London's Run


Last fall, I had some crazy ideas going through my head. One was that I should sign up for some sort of running event to help keep me motivated to run. (I have a hard time using the word race since I'm not in it to win.) I decided to sign up for London's Run. It is a run in honor of a young child who died of cancer in Queen Creek, Arizona.

For the past few months you could catch the girls and I and the double jogger around the neighborhood in training. And for the past month, my Saturday mornings have been spent with Regina doing our "long" runs.

Well, January 29th finally came. We showed up in Queen Creek and were ready to go. We had a an original goal of 2:20 but with a little motivation from John we were really shooting for 2:15. (You can't pass up free lunch at Barro's can you?) About half way through the race I wasn't really concerned with time, just finishing. And I was really excited when at about 12.5 miles I could see the balloon arch finish line. We crossed the finish line at 2:06 and I couldn't have been happier.

It felt good. We did something that I never would have dreamed of doing until a few months ago. And I loved the feeling of the race. All along the way there were signs telling us we could do it and pictures of young cancer patients. I couldn't help but think of John and how lucky we are to have him around. And I'm not going to lie, I liked the rush of actually crossing a finish line and knowing I had just run 13 miles. I liked it so much that I was easily persuaded by Regina to do it again in 5 weeks.(Talk about another moment of insanity.)

So back to the jogger the girls and I go.

8 comments:

Courtney said...

You guys look great in the action shot!

Jennifer Woodbury said...

Way to go Mandy - that's awesome. I have thought about doing a half marathon before, but never got past the thinking stage.

Nancy said...

Wow Mandy! That is awesome, I am very, very impressed! GO MANDY GO!

Ashley said...

I am very impressed with you guys! Congratulations!

Karen said...

That is so great!!!! I have alot of that get-up-and-go too. Except it's all in my head. High fives to you.
Karen

Angela said...

Awesome! I would totally run a hlaf marathon for Barro's. :) Way to do it!

Becky said...

Whoo Hooo Girl! I love that shot of you SMILING while you're running! Very proud of you and show us more pics when you cross the line again in 5 weeks!

Rachele said...

Way to go! I love training and running half marathons! That is awesome! What an accomplishment!